Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Time is here!

The holidays can be quite stressful but add a little dementia to that and the stress level is through the roof. To avoid stress we sometimes give Mother a little present when she is getting upset aka 'putting her frowny face' on. She sure does love putting on that face too. I think it's a clash between two worlds when she puts it on. She's in her dementia world and then has a glimpse of real life, like where am I? Poor thing.

What do you buy for someone with dementia? We normally buy some of her favorite things like food wise or clothing. She has some spilling issues so she tends to get stains on her clothes so we try and keep her clothes updated. I decided that it may be time to take the next step in our journey; it is time for a bib. Yup, buying a bib for my Mother. When looking for them I wanted to make sure that it was a cool one. I always want her to be styling. Who says you can't look good with dementia? So I decided to get Mother this rocking bib:


Clearly, Mother will look way better in it. Tonight she got a little upset and started to get her face on so I distracted her with Christmas presents. I let her open one of her Christmas presents I got her which was a sweatshirt in her favorite color blue and this bib. She seemed pleased with it and even gave me a smile. I wasn't sure if she really liked it until Melanie and Kendra came down. They came down at separate times but to each of them she basically told them to come over and look at gifts. "You see them? They're mine!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment