Thursday, August 19, 2010

Why am I writing this blog.

Well, a good friend of mine, Kim, once told me it would be a good idea to write a blog about my mother and her activities and so I am finally doing it. My mother has frontotemporal dementia and has had it for several years now. She is 55 and I am 24 needless to say there are some interesting moments in our lives.

Mom in April 2010 with Julia my Niece (2)
Melanie is her caregiver and deals with her 24/7 while living under the same roof as myself, kendra, my other sister, and my brother Josh, who will be leaving soon to live with his girlfriend. We manage but it does get tough. The only way we can really cope is to laugh, its ok, you have to "laugh now, cry later" as Josh once said. So, as for this blog I'm just going to write stories about my mom, things she does, says, doesn't say,etc. I hope to being to post pictures and videos and maybe someone will read this when they're having a bad day with a family member with the disease or a similar one like alzheimer's and will laugh.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you, Meredith! This is awesome! Is your header supposed to read:
    "There's only one thing you can do and that is to laugh now and then cry laughter."
    Or "cry LATER"??
    Cuz I think it's kinda cool to "cry laughter"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom has frontotemporal dementia as well. I found your blog and just started to read through some of your old posts. I figured I would start back at the beginning and saw why you are writing this. I want to thank you. My mother turned 55 this past February and I'm 23. She was diagnosed officially this past summer but has since deteriorated to the point that she doesn't know who I am anymore. It's really hard, the laugh now and cry later. Sometimes I just want my mom, but this disease robbed me of her. It's really hard and I don't even live at home. I get updates from family but it does hurt and going home is always stressful. I wanted you to know that what you are doing for your mom is amazing. I hope you have supportive people in your life because this disease can tear you apart.

    It's good to know that my family isn't the only one... but it's also terrible to know because I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I showed my Dad your blog and saw he commented. I'm hoping that this will help him because he is her primary caretaker and it's good for him to know he isn't alone in this either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel, Megan, they're aren't many people that truly know how we feel and we all feel different because our mothers, fathers, or whoever the ftd person is, are all different and no one can take that from us. Thanks for your comment it has inspired me to keep at it and really put 100 percent into it. I've made some changes and have done a good bit just today in a few hours.

    I wish you the best and feel free to contact me if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete