Saturday, May 25, 2013

For you, Mom.


My firsI recently celebrated my 27th birthday and I really wanted to get another tattoo for my Mother, well, for me as well. It does help deal with the heartache and I hadn't realized that I've gotten tattoos for my Mom at times where Mother had changed in some way and I was having trouble dealing with it. The first one I got was several years ago before I really started really becoming a big part in a Mother's caregiving. It's simple. It's the Alzheimer's symbol. Second was about a year after and was when it really hit me what this terrible disease was and what it was doing to my Mom, my beautiful, sweet, and caring Mom. I chose to get forget me not flowers. Not only was it a way of reminding me not to forget who she was but it was neat to see that France uses them for their Alzheimer's symbol. This week I got my third one and by far my favorite one. I wanted to really to really have part of Mother with me so I decided to take one of the videos of Mother saying "I love you", record it and produce the sound wave of it. I also took a card I found that Mother signed and got her signature traced. It really felt so many emotions seeing the beauty that resulted. She can't write anymore and she won't be able to speak eventfully but I have preserved what I can. 
My first two. I do realize it's a terrible picture. It's really not all crooked like. I'm not a good self photo taker. 

My new one

4 comments:

  1. Those tattoos are, indeed, very meaningful to your cause. It is tough to witness your own parent having this condition, and even more later as the disease progresses. It might be useful to get a caregiver to help, as well, when things get progressively worse. One needs to know when to ask for help from outside. There are caregivers who can live at your home for two weeks or more, depending on your mom's needs, and they can be of great assistance to anyone being the caregiver of their own parents.

    Live-In Comfort Ltd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I have a quick question for you regarding your blog, but I couldn't find your contact information. Do you think you could send me an email whenever you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    cameronvsj(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These tattoos are beautiful, as is the story about them. Your blog is helping me -- my friend was just diagnosed with FTLD, and I am trying to learn about the experience of both the patient and the caregivers. Thank you and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These tattoos are beautiful, as is the story about them. Your blog is helping me -- my friend was just diagnosed with FTLD, and I am trying to learn about the experience of both the patient and the caregivers. Thank you and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete